Homeowners utilize handyman services to install motion sensor lights. These LED arrays illuminate outdoor areas efficiently and only when light is actually required. Ever-increasing electricity rates make leaving manually-switched lights on for hours prohibitive. Moreover, flooding the yard, garage, driveway or patio with continuous light usually isn’t necessary for adequate security. Infrared motion sensor lights detect the motion of humans and automatically energize LED arrays that produce bright, white light, particularly suitable for thoroughly illuminating dark outdoor areas. Continue reading
Coming out of a long, hard winter, you and your Cincinnati area home may be feeling worse for wear. One area deserving of close attention is the gutter system around your home. There’s more at stake than simply your home’s exterior. Continue reading
The arrival of spring is an ideal time to take a walk. A short walk around your Cincinnati home’s exterior will give you a rough idea of the sort of damage your house suffered during the winter. One key area is rotten exterior wood, and it calls for fast attention before it gets worse. Hiring a handyman service to provide exterior wood rot repair will make this spring’s to-do list easier. Continue reading
A house fire is the last thing anyone wants to experience. To protect you and your family, be sure to perform proper smoke detector installation and maintenance.
Proper installation is the first step toward home fire safety. Remember these points when installing new smoke detectors:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home. Make sure every sleeping area has one within range so it wakes sleepers if a fire occurs at night.
- Install smoke detectors on the ceiling. If your ceilings are vaulted or pitched, install the smoke detector near the highest point.
- Consider installing hardwired smoke alarms, which can be interconnected so every alarm goes off regardless of the fire’s location. Ensure these alarms have backup batteries for continued operation during power outages.
- Install a combination of ionization smoke detectors (most responsive to flaming fires) and photoelectric smoke detectors (most responsive to smoldering fires) for the best protection.
- Only install UL-listed smoke detectors.
- If someone in your home is deaf or hard of hearing, consider smoke detectors that use strobe lights or vibration along with the audible alarm.
- Avoid installing smoke alarms near windows, doors, supply registers or in bathrooms to avoid false alarms.
Smoke alarms are an important part of your family’s home fire escape plan. Make sure yours are working properly with these maintenance tips:
- Test the smoke detectors monthly by pressing the “test” button.
- Replace the batteries once a year. If the alarm chirps, the battery is running low. Replace it immediately.
- Never disable a smoke alarm or permanently remove the batteries.
- Never paint over smoke alarms or they could stop working.
- If you have problems with steam or cooking fumes setting off the smoke detector, choose one with a “hush” button. Press the button while cooking or showering to reduce the alarm’s sensitivity for a short time.
Hardwired smoke alarms must be installed by a qualified professional. If you’re in need of smoke detector installation and maintenance, please contact Apollo Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We have over 100 years experience serving greater Cincinnati.
Image via Shutterstock.com
Over time, the exterior of your home will inevitably collect dirt, stains, grime and perhaps even mold and mildew. This can degrade your home’s visual appeal and create an unhealthy environment. But just thinking about cleaning up such a mess can be exhausting. That’s where a power washer comes in. By power washing your home, you can remove the dirt and grime more effectively and in much less time than scrubbing. Even better, you can hire a trusted handyman to do the job for you. Find out what to expect, and how power washing your home can really improve curb appeal. Continue reading
The windows and doors in your greater Cincinnati home are part of what makes the house unique. But this uniqueness can bring trouble when it comes to choosing and hanging curtains, blinds, shutters and other door or window coverings. You may find that you need help hanging window treatments when you have large or arched windows, glass doors, transoms, sliding panels or other special window/door configurations. You could opt to leave them free of draperies, but what about privacy? What about protecting nearby furniture from fading in sunlight? Continue reading
Converting a tub to a walk-in shower in your Cincinnati area home can provide a fresh look to a stale bathroom. Getting a handyman service to do it makes sense. You’ll save time and avoid the lengthy inconvenience of a non-functioning bathroom. You’ll also gain resale value and a sense of pride in your renovated space.
Contemporary Bathroom by New York Architects & Designers Mabbott Seidel Architecture
While garages were originally designed to house vehicles, they’ve become an extension of many homes, doubling as a storage area. Whether you’re finding yourself with barely enough room to park or just wanting to make better use of this space, read on for some great garage organization tips to help reach your goal. Continue reading
There can be more to your fireplace mantel than just a spot to place family photos and souvenirs. With the large variety of mantel types available, there’s no need to stick with the standard brick mantel. Yours can match your home’s interior design style and become an interesting focal point in and of itself. But before you hire a handyman to install a mantel, learn about the different materials and designs to choose from, as well as how the different options can add to your home’s esthetic appeal. Find the right style for your home, and your family will have even more reason to gather around the fire. Continue reading
With springtime in the air, thoughts turn to that trusty back deck that’s served so well for so many years. Barbecues, parties or simply relaxing on a lounge chair, favorite drink in hand—it all happens on that deck. But is your deck ready for all that action? If one of your spring to-do items is deck maintenance and repair, consider leaving that to a reliable handyman. Continue reading